Monday, August 25, 2014

Lessons from a Flower Shop

This summer I've been working at a flower shop as an assistant. I did know somethings about flowers from interning in the event industry, but that did not prepare me for all of the new things I had to learn! Soooo I jumped in, hoping I wouldn't hit the bottom! Here are a few things I've learned about putting together floral arrangements:

Pick a color scheme: 

In this little workshop I did with my friend Shae we went for a fall color scheme. You can really convey any feeling by just picking the right color scheme! And its fun to try different combinations of colors! 


Use at least one unusual flower:

Run-of-the-mill flower arrangements are just boring! Spice up your arrangements by finding one unique flower to add to what you already have and it will completely change the look. The flower we used  here is called yellow craspedia. It wasn't too expensive and it made our little arrangements look so cool! 



Start with your filler:

Growing up my mom always told me to put the filler in last, in the spots that were bare. But starting with your filler helps to keep those bare spots from ever showing up! And filler can be fun! Using an unusual looking filler such as seeded eucalyptus can add to that unique feel. 


Hide stems with ti leaves:

Stems are just not cute! A lot of times the water turns a slight yellow and no one wants to look at that! If you use a ti leaf, or a thick , large leaf you can hide those unattractive things by putting the ti leaf in the vase! 


Its all about trial and error:

There is no science to putting arrangements together! Just go for it and don't be afraid to start over if need be! For so long I was set on finding the perfect formula to putting together arrangements, but it doesn't exist! Just try something and adjust as you go!

Have fun with your flowers:

Flowers are wonderful, so enjoy! There are sooo many things you can do with flowers and floral arrangements, its worth exploring and having a great time doing it! 


Even kitties love flowers!


I am going to miss working at the flower shop! This is my last week working there and I just cannot believe it is coming to an end! It has been such a journey learning everything, meeting the clients and figuring out how I fit into the scheme of things! I'm going to miss that amazing smell of flowers that hits me when I first walk in. I'm going to miss seeing the new batch of flowers we get in every week and learning about the ones I've never heard of! But I will forever take what I've learned with me! Who knows, maybe I'll pick it back up someday! 


What an adventure!
CAZ






No comments:

Post a Comment